Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/shoushu/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/shoushu/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/shoushu/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/shoushu/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
ShouShu - Shou Shu • View topic - Chinese Medicine

ShouShu - Shou Shu

Dedicated to Moore's Shou Shu - ShouShu
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chinese Medicine
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:45 am 

As most of us know, Chinese medicine (accupuncture and herbology) and massage (Tui Na) exist and are part of martial arts systems. Most of you may know that in China, the study of a system or systems involve four distinct but related parts: the exercise (such as a tai chi chuan), the healing (accupunture/tui na), the acrobatic ( wushu), and the war/fighting ( we teach Shou Shu). I remember that Da Shifu Sr. used to show some of the black belts the healing aspects and techniques. (Da Shifu Siegfried I believe learned much of this).

I know that there have been other posts on this topic but I thought I would share some of my recent experiences on this singular aspect of martial arts.

Since I was about 13 years old, I had terrible migraine headaches (very debilitating - only on one side of my head). Later on, (I think after learning the neck locks in the Mongoose) I also developed a bulging disc in C-5 or C-6 vertebrae. The pain from the injury and migraine are excruciating. Getting hit only makes the pain worse. Went to a neurologist who did an MRI. He flat out told me that the bulging disk was not causing me pain (???). I was prescribed multiple migraine medications --- horrible side effects to say the least.

Last September 2009, I had a very bad day (migraine and neck pain started at 4 am lasted till 3 pm). So, I went and tried out accupuncture and tui na. I found a person (in Yuma, AZ) who had the appropriate credentials to do this work and made an appointment. The results blew me away. My qi was instantly fluid after the treatment; and I felt tremedous relief, no pain. Since that time, I have been receiving treatments every two weeks.

The treatment includes Tui Na massage first, followed by a course of accupuncture on both sides of my body over the course of about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I have NOT taken any migraine medicine since September 2009. My body is slowing healing and I can see a very subtle difference in my Shou Shu; really how it feels.

Also, I am now taking an herb formula called Tieh Ta. I use this when I have combined work out days of Shou Shu and cardio/strength training. The results are very promising so far; my body recovers faster.

All in all, the chinese medicine could be the sole reason for my healing/rehabilitating; at least I think it is. I know people who say that it does not work at all. My results could be placebo; if it is placebo, so what - still works.

Nevertheless, what I do know is that it works great for me. Consider giving it a try.

Shi Gung Way

Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul. Mt 10:28

Post subject: Re: Chinese Medicine
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:41 pm 
Site Moderator

Shi Gung Way wrote:
As most of us know, Chinese medicine (accupuncture and herbology) and massage (Tui Na) exist and are part of martial arts systems. Most of you may know that in China, the study of a system or systems involve four distinct but related parts: the exercise (such as a tai chi chuan), the healing (accupunture/tui na), the acrobatic ( wushu), and the war/fighting ( we teach Shou Shu). I remember that Da Shifu Sr. used to show some of the black belts the healing aspects and techniques. (Da Shifu Siegfried I believe learned much of this).

I know that there have been other posts on this topic but I thought I would share some of my recent experiences on this singular aspect of martial arts.

Since I was about 13 years old, I had terrible migraine headaches (very debilitating - only on one side of my head). Later on, (I think after learning the neck locks in the Mongoose) I also developed a bulging disc in C-5 or C-6 vertebrae. The pain from the injury and migraine are excruciating. Getting hit only makes the pain worse. Went to a neurologist who did an MRI. He flat out told me that the bulging disk was not causing me pain (???). I was prescribed multiple migraine medications --- horrible side effects to say the least.

Last September 2009, I had a very bad day (migraine and neck pain started at 4 am lasted till 3 pm). So, I went and tried out accupuncture and tui na. I found a person (in Yuma, AZ) who had the appropriate credentials to do this work and made an appointment. The results blew me away. My qi was instantly fluid after the treatment; and I felt tremedous relief, no pain. Since that time, I have been receiving treatments every two weeks.

The treatment includes Tui Na massage first, followed by a course of accupuncture on both sides of my body over the course of about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I have NOT taken any migraine medicine since September 2009. My body is slowing healing and I can see a very subtle difference in my Shou Shu; really how it feels.

Also, I am now taking an herb formula called Tieh Ta. I use this when I have combined work out days of Shou Shu and cardio/strength training. The results are very promising so far; my body recovers faster.

All in all, the chinese medicine could be the sole reason for my healing/rehabilitating; at least I think it is. I know people who say that it does not work at all. My results could be placebo; if it is placebo, so what - still works.

Nevertheless, what I do know is that it works great for me. Consider giving it a try.

Shi Gung Way

Shi Gung Way

Yes DaShifu Sr. did actually pass some of his healing knoweledge on to me and I have used it many times with great success. The Neurologist is full of shit but thats another story, I've run into plenty that are.....just like there's alot of Chiropractors that are full of shit, but be that as it may, we know that exists in all walks of life. The treatment you are finally getting is a great combination, I use it quite often. The problem is getting a practioner to take the necessary time to do this type of treatment, most want to see how many people they can put on their books. Thers's a Master Point for migraines and it's located on the lateral leg just below the knee that should be, and your Acupuncturist I'm sure already is, treated. You also should be getting adjustments to your neck, and I know what you're thinking, yes I can adjust vertebrae that have bulging discs, I do it all the time. In fact I can adjust vertebrae that have herniated discs also, but they have to be done in a specific way as to not irritate and worsen the condition. I really beleive that if you found a competant Chiropractor that can adjust your neck your symptoms will improve even more, I've treated huindreds if not thousands of people with such symptoms, I wish you luck for a complete recovery and if not complete, at least minimize the symptoms greatly......

DaShifu Siegfried

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 am 

I have been having bad ankle problems which originated with a mild sprain, but has not healed properly. I had it x-rayed and the doc said there was no break/ fracture or bone chip that he could see. He said there was probably inflamation in the tendons. It continues to nag me. It will be tolerable once I've warmed up and practiced, but there is still instability and pain in that ankle. It bothers me because I haven't been able to practice as much as I used to in the last 4 months or so.

I've been using a Dit Da Jow ointment on it, which has helped some. I got this online from Plum Dragon. Does anyone have a reccommendation on a traditional herb/ ointment for this type of injury?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am 

Da Shifu,

Thank you --I appreciate your guidance and counsel; I fully intend to find a DC who can help. And, you are right in that I am a bit nervous. Is there anything specific I need to know about a potential DC in order to find the right person?

Thanks again! Salute.
Shi Gung Way

Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul. Mt 10:28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 pm 
Site Moderator

scout wrote:
I have been having bad ankle problems which originated with a mild sprain, but has not healed properly. I had it x-rayed and the doc said there was no break/ fracture or bone chip that he could see. He said there was probably inflamation in the tendons. It continues to nag me. It will be tolerable once I've warmed up and practiced, but there is still instability and pain in that ankle. It bothers me because I haven't been able to practice as much as I used to in the last 4 months or so.

I've been using a Dit Da Jow ointment on it, which has helped some. I got this online from Plum Dragon. Does anyone have a reccommendation on a traditional herb/ ointment for this type of injury?

You need to have that ankle adjusted, I don't want to get into the whole explanation why but the short way around the barn is that when u sprain an ankle there's other bones that get mis-aligned when it happens. So you need to find a chiropractor that adjusts extremities. I've treated and dealt with this thousands of times, you can take herbs and rub ointments til the cows come home but until you correct what's a biomechanical problem you'll be dealing with this for a long time.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 am 

Thanks DaShifu. My insurance doesn't cover chiropractic care, but I think I'm just going to have to come out of pocket for this. I'm pretty frustrated right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Moderator

Shi Gung Way wrote:
Da Shifu,

Thank you --I appreciate your guidance and counsel; I fully intend to find a DC who can help. And, you are right in that I am a bit nervous. Is there anything specific I need to know about a potential DC in order to find the right person?

Thanks again! Salute.
Shi Gung Way

Jung Moon lives there in your area I beleive, he usually has a pulse of what's going on and gets chiropractic treatments himself, whether he gets them there I do not know but he would be the first person I would ask. If he cannot stear you to a good competant chiro then you just have to start asking around, it shouldn't be too hard if you ask enough people. The neck is a very sensitive area and can be irritated very easily if the chiro doesn't have the finesse, wish I was there I could help you out but I'm not so just do the research and ask as many people as possible, you'll know when the same name is repeated over and over. But I truly beleive that it will really help your symptoms. Let me see if I can do some research also, when I got my international acupunture fellowship degree I was taught by a guy from Carefree Arizona, let me see what I can find out. Do you know where Carefree Arizona is?

DaShifu Siegfried

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Moderator

scout wrote:
Thanks DaShifu. My insurance doesn't cover chiropractic care, but I think I'm just going to have to come out of pocket for this. I'm pretty frustrated right now.

Beleive me I understand about injury frustration, it's part of the game, all professional athletes go thru it, but it is what it is, once the problem is taken care of the frustration will be gone.....at least til the next injury. Welcome to the Martial Arts! LOL

DaShifu Siegfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 am 

Well this isn't my first martial arts related injury, but I understand what you mean DaShifu. I went to a chiropractor yesterday and he adjusted my ankle and did accupuncture and electrical current treatment on it. I have to go back today and probably twice next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 am 

Thank you Da Shifu. I will ask Jung Moon. Carefree is in the Phoenix Metro area but not too far from Yuma. I appreciate your referral.

Shi Gung Way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Moderator

Shi Gung Way wrote:
Thank you Da Shifu. I will ask Jung Moon. Carefree is in the Phoenix Metro area but not too far from Yuma. I appreciate your referral.

Shi Gung Way

You know if Jung Moon doesn't have a suggestion, ask your acupuncturist, there's a good chance he or she knows one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Moderator

scout wrote:
Well this isn't my first martial arts related injury, but I understand what you mean DaShifu. I went to a chiropractor yesterday and he adjusted my ankle and did accupuncture and electrical current treatment on it. I have to go back today and probably twice next week.

Did you say your Chiro is an acupuncturist too? Does he use needles? Just curious, did you feel movement when he adjusted your ankle? How did it feel after?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:27 am 

Yes DaShifu, he did accupuncture as well. He did use needles. He put a total of twelve needles in. Six close to my toes, four around my ankle and two up higher on the outside of my calf. I've done two adjustments so far. It felt like it moved on both adjustments. He's also having me use a rocker board for a few minutes a day. I have to go back next week. I have some pain a little higher up above my ankle now, but over all it feels better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Moderator

scout wrote:
Yes DaShifu, he did accupuncture as well. He did use needles. He put a total of twelve needles in. Six close to my toes, four around my ankle and two up higher on the outside of my calf. I've done two adjustments so far. It felt like it moved on both adjustments. He's also having me use a rocker board for a few minutes a day. I have to go back next week. I have some pain a little higher up above my ankle now, but over all it feels better.

Great to hear.....those balance boards are great for strengthening and resetting the proprioceptor spindles which get injured and off set after a sprain....sounds like you're in good hands Scout...