ShouShu - Shou Shu

Dedicated to Moore's Shou Shu - ShouShu
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What I enjoy about teaching Shou Shu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am 

Last night was one of those nights teaching adult group when you know that you have changed people's life for the better --- most of all I had a lot of fun.

First, the group was primarily composed of white belts (about 6) and two high purple belts. After a little warm up, I taught some of the wrist lock techniques out of the Yellow belt. When teaching the white belts, four of whom were women, I remembered how important it is for Black belts to teach the underlying skill that must be developed in every concept taught through techniques. The point is so relevant because fear will lock up a person's body during a violent attack; the result is that a person's muscles will take over and then there is a trainwreck. For the most part, men generally have more muscle mass and can rely on muscle if they make a mistake, but women can never rely on muscle. All black belts should understand that Shou Shu does not rely upon "muscle", it relies on skill. (It does not matter then if you are a man or women, you must learn the skill) (and wrist lock type techniques are great to teach and especially so when you have the student close their eyes and do the move, have a stronger student with more muscle mass grab the student's wrist with less -- the student learns that targets are easily found through body kinesthetics). Instruct student's to practice moves on each other. If they do, they will begin just by virtue of what feels right and wrong to correct the moves. Black belts do the rest.

Switching gears in class, I realized that this would be a great time to get into a bit of the fight of Shou Shu. Recalling a women's self defense class Jung Moon taught earlier this year, I took a moment to teach the class about the reality of how an opponent can easily grab the throat for a choke. It's great when you don't reinvent the wheel (and don't reinvent the wheel) - so I simply taught what Jung Moon had taught at a previous class: right punch to the opponent's throat and eye spear left, dig your fingers into the face and claw down (actually, there was A LOT more to that class, but I give you the abbreviated version). Then came the fun part. After the student's became comfortable with this concept, I had Shifu Kemp grab each person. He made it real for each student! I stood behind each student so they could not move back. And the students did great.

The group ended with a review of the orange belt and the promotion of three students to low-orange and a pre-test for the purple belts.

You could see how these students' concept of reality, and why they are learning the art, changed for the better.

That is just one example of what I enjoy about teaching Shou Shu.

Shi Gung Way

Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul. Mt 10:28

Post subject: Re: What I enjoy about teaching Shou Shu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm 

Shi Gung,

Well I can tell you from personal experience that you have an excellent way of making Shou Shu real for your students. When you were a first degree teaching in Merced, I remember how you used to fire us up during classes. I've not forgotten the details and energy you conveyed during those lessons. (nor have I forgotten what it felt like to be your "victim" when you were working on Tiger...) Your students are very fortunate to have you! Take care Sir,

Mr. Adolphson

“He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.” ~Samuel Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:26 am 

"victim"? Hmmm, now that sounds like a legal term of art. :wink:

We all learn control; sometimes it takes time, or simply getting put in check. I was put in check somewhere around 2nd black. You were always a great student. Stay dedicated and focused so you too can learn the Tiger. And remember, your weaknesses in Shou Shu can one day become your greatest strengths. :idea:

At any rate, would you like to be my victim, I mean help me with my Cobra? :D

Shi Gung Way

Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul. Mt 10:28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:07 pm 

Well, I guess victim was a poor choice of words...

But those were great times in the studio. I never thought you went overboard. Those lessons are part of the reason I don't really fear getting hit hard. Ok, I should rephrase that; I don't fear getting hit hard by a person outside of Shou Shu. And YES--I would love to "help" you with Cobra. That would be too cool for words; anytime. I hope to see you at the upcoming camp. Take care Shi Gung,

Mark Adolphson

“He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.” ~Samuel Johnson