ShouShu - Shou Shu

Dedicated to Moore's Shou Shu - ShouShu
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: In Memory of Shifu Dave Dever
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:13 am 

Yesterday afternoon, I was informed that Shifu Dave Dever (4th degree) had died.

Shifu Dever started Shou Shu many years ago under Shifu Doyle Ish in the Phoenix School. After the school closed, Shifu Dever ran his own school. In the early 90' Shifu Dever became the student of Da Shifu Sr. I remember how Dave explained that he would drive once a month from Phoenix to Lodi to take lessons.

I recall meeting Dave many years ago for the first time when I was a student at camp (Tower Park Marina campground) and he had recently been awarded his 3rd degree. Many years later (about 16 years later), when I moved to Yuma, Arizona, Dave called me and said Jung Moon told him to call me so he could start working out again. So, we started working out at my house in Yuma about twice a month. Then, Shifu Dever was promoted to 4th degree about 2 years ago at a beast seminar. Subsequently, he took master classes under Da Shifu Freier and would travel from Phoenix to Clovis, California, for lessons; and, from Phoenix, to Yuma to help out at the studio. One of the last people Shifu Dever taught up through black belt was Shifu Michael Gaughan out of Phoenix.

Dave was a Christian, a teacher, a black belt, and a good friend. In addition to being a very good martial artist, he was in a martial arts movie playing a referee (he had the Moores Shou Shu patch on his gi), and he even taught the US navy seals hand-to-hand combat for a short stint.

Dave is survived by his son Derek and his whole Shou Shu family of black belts. May the mercy of eternal God be upon you Dave and may you rest in peace my friend.

Shi Gung Bobby Way

Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul. Mt 10:28

Post subject: Re: In Memory of Shifu Dave Dever
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:19 pm 

The name of the movie he was in was Showdown with Billy Blanks. SHifu Dever hated it as it is a really bad movie. Just a bad Karate Kid ripoff. However Shifu Dever played a judge at a tournament and he didn't embarriss himself at all. Also in the backround of a scene he is teaching the Mass Attack form to a couple of his students.Like I said, he hated this movie, so of course I found it and would play it everytime he came to the Clovis School (even made him sign the cover for me).Once again, bad movie but not for Shifu Dever (the other one not to embarriss themself in the movie was Christine Taylor - Dodgeball the Movie).

Also was nice enough(w/ShiGung Way and Shifu Gaughn) to fly me out to Arizona last year to get lessons. A lot of fun and enjoyed getting thrown out of the gym with him. Shifu Dave Dever will be missed and was taken way too soon.

DaShifu Freier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:09 pm 

This is sad news, for sure. Deepest sympathies to family, friends, & fellow students alike. Got to meet Shifu Dever at an Animal Seminar where he and Shi Gung Way were nice enough to work with myself & my son, (who was terrified to be "put in the mix" with such high ranks). My son was thrilled as was I to be working with these two great guys /martial artists. You always do get your moneys worth at these seminars & we felt as though we got a bonus!

I also got to see Shifu Dever at one of his last Clovis visits where he helped us teach group and helped me with some "classic " Tiger. Considering all the pain & suffering he was going through personally, he shared warmth, friendliness and that Shou Shu spirit /enthusiasm that we all greatly appreciated. It was a pleasure to have crossed paths with him.

May his soul rest in peace, he fought a long & courageous battle. He never showed how sick he really was, True Warrior Spirit. We are deeply touched by his passing,

Shun Shifu Steve & Shifu Sam Krovitsky

Last edited by Three Sky on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:25 pm 

I am deeply sorry hear such sad news. I have had the pleasure of traning with Shifu Devers for a long time. Our training days expand from Lodi to Kingman. Some of the most fonds memories we had is when we tested for our next belts. He got his fourth and I got my third. We showed each other our swollen knees after the test. We looked at each others knees and said together: "Yes, it was all worth it".
Shifu Devers, showed the true character of a Shou Shu warrior, and followed his dream through-out his life. May you rest in peace, my friend. Shun Shifu Guerrero.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 pm 

I should have said, Shifu Dever. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 pm 

I have worked out with Shifu Dever on many occasions as well. He and I tested for our Fourth Degrees together. He was an interesting person and he had a lot of knowledge he wanted to share with everyone. I knew that he was in pain most of the time, and I admired his dedication to training despite the pain. It will be different this year at the beast seminar without him there, I got used to having him find me in the crowd and wanting to work out.

God Bless brother.

SGJR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Moderator

I haven't been on the forum in sometime and am real sorry to hear about Shifu Dever, I know he has been battling this for sometime, my sincere condolences to his family and friends, too damn young to go but God has his plans.

DaShfu Siegfried

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:25 pm 

I am grateful for the friendship and teaching of Shifu Dever. He loved Shou Shu and inspired me to continue training throughout my life. I will miss him and will continue to study the art because of his inspiration and dedication. From the day he first met Shifu Doyle Isch and felt the power of Shou Shu's magic hands, he gave up his rank of black belt in several other styles and studied only Shou Shu. He was one of the great ambassadors for the art. I thank Jung Moon, Da Shifu Freier and Shi Gung Way for their having been such good friends to Shifu Dever, he respected and admired you more than you will ever know. I thank all of the Shou Shu artists who have remembered Shifu Dever with such kindness and respect. I look forward to seeing all of you again.

I will be hosting a memorial service for Shifu Dever at my home in Chandler, Arizona in the near future. I'll post the date and time as soon as I've set it up with Derek Dever, Shifu's son. I anyone wishes to attend I'd be honored to have you with us on that day.

May God grant you peace and prosperity.

Shifu Gaughan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 am 

Shifu Dever's memorial service will be October 17, 2009 beginning at 3:00 PM in Chandler, Arizona. Should you wish to attend, please email your RSVP to my address:

mggaughan@cox.net

I'll forward the address to you at your request.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm 

I'm sorry to post this so late, I will miss the man but a part of his being walks with me. Later.